History of the Building

Built originally for the Donaueschingen Museum Society, the building, located in extensive parkland on the banks of the Brigach, soon started to enjoy a very varied history. From the 1930s right up to 2006, it housed a cinema. In July 2008, the art collector, Margit Biedermann, signalled the start of the conversion to the Museum Biedermann with a ground-breaking ceremony.

 

 

Short chronological review:

 

1841

Inauguration of the two-story building, which was built in a classical style, with financial support from Prince Karl Egon II, for the some 120 members of the museum society. The building houses a library, a reading room, various business rooms as well as the magnificent Salon of Reflection.

1845

The building is destroyed by fire. Prince Karl Egon II buys the burnt out ruin and rebuilds the museum to rent it out to the museum society. An ornate panelled ceiling is added to the Salon of Reflection as part of the rebuilding.

1847

Following the rebuilding, the building is used for balls and concerts.

1859

A large commemoration ceremony is held for the poet and philosopher Friedrich Schiller to mark his 100th birthday.

1896

With the death of Prince Karl Egon II, the museum society loses its most important patron.

1897

Prince Max Egon II, as previous owner of the Bohemian line of the House of Fürstenberg takes over the so-called Swabian line and chooses Donaueschingen as his place of residence. He has the museum renovated.

1914-1918

During the First World War, the building is used as accommodation for reservists and later it houses an infantry battalion. After the war, the museum society relinquishes use of the building.

1921-1935

The town council rents the building as a spa hotel for the town but the political situation and the Second World War puts an end to these efforts.

1937

A cinema called the "Museum Light Show" (Museumslichtspiele) is incorporated in the building.

1957

A second cinema, the "Park Light Show" is added in the "Yellow Salon" (Gelber Saal).

1980

The exterior of the building is renovated.

2006

The cinema closes down. The Biedermann Family acquires the building.

2008

The conversion and extension of the building is started.

2009

In September 2009, the Museum Biedermann opens its doors for the first time with the exhibition, "Selection – Insights into the Biedermann Collection". International, contemporary artworks are presented.

since 2009

Here, you will find an overview of the exhibitions and the many events to have been held at the Museum Biedermann since its opening: A look back at the exhibitions and events.


You will find further information about the museum renovation phase here.

Museum Biedermann   :   Museumsweg 1   :   78166 Donaueschingen   :   Phone: +49 771-89 66 89-0